Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Why...?

          Well, here's the beginning of my story. Our story. For many of our stories started out the same. We all wanted to join the war for the glory and honour. My boys and I all signed up together. This is an insert from a journal I kept. This is one of my first entries, I tried to write in it often, especially when I was in the war. I originally kept it so I would never forget the adventures I went on….but soon it became my only true friend that stayed with me all the way and kept the stories and memories of the horrible things we all went through.



September 27th 1914
          Today, I finally enlisted with Eric, Sam, and Billy. How exciting this will be! To leave this old town and go out and see the world! The people I could meet and the stories they can tell. Soon I will have interesting stories to tell little Lucy too. Oh the adventures I will go on and what a hero I’ll become!
          My training will begin soon I hope…I must do well! For my family and for my country. I hope the training will be fast. I want to get onto the battle field as soon as possible! This is a short war after all. I want to be like Sir Sam Hughes. He is a very admirable man. I wonder if I’d get the chance to meet him when I get to the training camp in Valcartier, Quebec. I hope so. I am sure we would be quick to become friends. I wonder what it would be like to hold the gun in my hands. I must look handsome. Lucy would like that.
          Oh Lucy…how I’ll miss her. She’s so beautiful. But I will marry her when I get back. When I’m back I’ll be true man. A hero with great honour and dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment