Wednesday, December 8, 2010

All the Trickery

These are the tricks they used to get men to sign up for the war. I first fell for these too but when I was at the battle field I began to hear about how it just got worse and worse. I don’t remember writing a specific journal entry for this but it’s still very clear in my mind. men who came to fight along side me in the battles weren’t as patriotic and excited as I was when I first joined the war. I wanted it for the glory that was always displayed on posters. But now they’ve gone to an extent where it’s almost threatening. Or playing on your conscious. I got to see them for myself after my treatment at the hospital. I got back to the city for about two months to rest a bit and then I went back to the war. I knew I had to, it was something I was set to do and I will not rest till it ends.



This is one of the propaganda posters on the streets. The amount of racism in it is terrifying! The nightmares are only on the battle field but back at home as well. I wanted to go to war so that there may be peace in my home. But everywhere you go; there are images of the war. Sometimes there were even scenes of people fighting and dead men. Some said to buy victory bonds, some said to give to the Canadian Patriotic Fund and other funds, and others said to join the Armed Forces. The newspapers were censored as well. There was no news of the horrifying amount of men dying at the trenches. Or the cruelty of the shells. The government was controlling everything. The land, the people, and the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment